Monday, June 26, 2017

Trying To Be Good

Displaying DSC03818.JPG

I realized that I have been very naughty. I haven't been keeping to my blog at all! (honestly, I actually forgot about it for a while.) Life has been crazy busy with trips, events, work, and finishing up school! And, to be honest, I haven't been writing in my book as much as I should be. As an author, I should be writing. That's kind of what we do. (hence the name)
But I'm back in the game now! And actually, taking a break from sitting in front of the computer allowed me to have time to think about the complicated parts in my story.
I know I've read a lot from writing websites that talk about always - ALWAYS - finding time to write at least a little every single day. But that may not be such a good idea. I know I haven't found it helpful. Because if I'm hitting a part of the book that just isn't coming together, sitting in front of a screen isn't going to help me. It just puts more stress because I'm staring at a wall of letters that fades into white nothingness knowing I need to write SOMETHING! (panic attack ensues!) I mean, does anybody besides me get tired from listening to the same song every single day? It wears you down until you want to throttle the speakers!

Taking a break is important, but it doesn't mean you have to completely ditch your book. (As an author, it's always in your head anyway.) I find that there are certain times throughout the day when I can think through a hard part of the book. Planning doesn't have to be done in front of the computer. Here are a few places and times that I get most of my brilliant ideas! (ok, brilliant may be too strong of a word. I think they are brilliant, but I'm probably biased.)

1: Doing Chores
I am the dishwasher in my family. And being the oldest of six means there are lots, and lots, and lots of dishes. This is a perfect time for me to work through some of the nitty-gritty things. I'm the type of person who will write the intense and exciting story line and totally ditch the details.
Author Tip: Try to ask yourself questions about your book. Questions like: "Why would my character do that?" "How does this scene help the story?" "How can I make this part with a lot of talking more exciting?"
Don't always go along with the first idea that pops into your head. There are more options for how a character can find out that the dying man he's holding in his arms is his supposedly-dead father. The dying guy doesn't have to say it through gasping breaths. That's been done way to many times.
 Writing:
2: Working Outside
Ok, so maybe not everybody spends 4 hours outside like I do. (I don't have much of a choice because my job is exercising horses, I have to be outside.) But most people go outside every now and then! I mean, tending gardens, mowing the lawn, trimming bushes, these are all great times to think about your book! Come up with different lands and areas that would make great settings for different scenes! Or keep asking yourself questions.
A book is not mere paper and words...:

3: Reading
I know this might sound a little weird, but sometimes a great book can spark new ideas! Or it can pose a new way of looking at something that you never would have thought of before and fits perfectly with your book! Learning isn't always from a textbook. A lot of knowledge is passed down from other people who have walked the path before you. If there is a certain way that you want to write, read a book that is written in that way. It will help get you into the mood or give you the intense feelings that you want to transfer into your book! (Just don't be a copy-cat because that's lame)
Robb Stark =( He will always be King of the North! Omg I'm still in denial about this. It so sad.:

What are some of the ways you come up with great ideas? Please share in the comments so other people can learn! Don't let Writer's Block get the better of you! And remember: Take a break every now and then. Shut the computer down and live in the beautiful world that God has put you in. No book can ever tell the story you are writing with your life.

No comments:

Post a Comment